Permits - Pond & Right of Way Cut

Pond Permits
Section 5.19 of the Whitley County Zoning Ordinance provides the development standards for ponds created within the zoning jurisdiction of Whitley County.  The process of obtaining a Pond Permit is shared between the Planning & Building Department and the Engineer/Surveyor Department.  The permit application is prepared in the Planning & Building Department.  The permit and site are reviewed by the Engineer/Surveyor Department and the Health Department.  Please see the generalized requirements here.  For a list of information required to be submitted with a plan for a Pond Permit application, click here.
Right-of-Way Cut Permits

Effective February 7th, 2022, per Ordinance 2023-03, there is an updated Right-of-Way Cut Permit, associated permitting fees, and an updated permitting process for obtaining a Right-Of-Way Cut Permit. Please refer to Amended Ordinance 2020-14 for the all specifications, guidelines, processing and permitting fees, and potential fines.

Right-of-way cut permits for public or private utility work are presented to the Director of the Whitley County Highway Department to review and verify compliance with specifications, standards and policies of Whitley County. The Director may then approve or deny the permit or may defer it to the Whitley County Board of Commissioners for further review and approval or denial. (Click Here )

A single copy of the Right-of-Way Permit Application may be mailed to the Whitley County Highway Department or a digital copy can be emailed to [email protected]. All fees must be paid before the permit can be processed, payable by cash or check only to the Whitley County Treasurer.

If you have any questions or concerns regarding a Right-of-Way Cut Permit, please contact the Whitley County Highway Department at 260-248-3123 or whitleyhighway@whitleygov,com.